ANNA-MARIA DESOGUS MEMORIAL AWARD
The 'Anna-Maria Desogus Memorial Award' was set-up in 2011 by Jehane Boden Spiers.
In memory of the artist Anna-Maria Desogus who lost her fight with cancer on 9 February 2008. She was due to meet Tracey Emin the week before she died.
Anna-Maria captured the essence of a beautiful woman. A remarkably real & gutsy person, her legacy is one of a passion for art, of pushing the boundaries of 3-D design, of strength, of vivacity. The criteria for the ‘Anna-Maria Desogus Memorial Award’ are intended to reflect her qualities: visual, courageous, socially-aware, humorous, intelligent, straight-talking, independent, and demanding.
Brighton University 3-D Design & Craft BA (Hons)
Two prizes are awarded annually by Jehane Boden Spiers and Anna's family; to a Graduate & 2nd Year student at Brighton University whose work best satisfies one or more of the following design criteria:
- Makes a strong visual statement
- Innovative and creative consideration of materials, subject matter or form
- Thinking ‘outside the box’
- Shows humour and / or awareness of social/ political issues
Prize-winners of the Anna-Maria Desogus Memorial Award:
- GRADUATE AWARD: Luke Fuller (2018), Iona Aitchison (2017), Isabella Stone-Wilson (2016)
- 2ND YEAR AWARD: Rosie Tweedale (2018), Luke Fuller (2017), Darwin Simmonds (2016), Veega Tankun (2015), Aphrodite Theochari (2014), Erlina Beare Gottison (2013), Stephanie Holmes (2012), and Stephanie Iles (2011)
- HIGHLY COMMENDED GRADUATE AWARD: Ava Vaughan, Jemima Bellamy, Jack Scott
- HIGHLY COMMENDED 2ND YEAR AWARD: Ollie John, Chris Pearce, Zoe Rae, Nedine Luke, Nathan Lisher, Alexi Simmons, Tsuwan Hsieh, Josh Bitelli